Thursday 16 November 2017

Collecting Inspiration

pencil and blue notebook on red background
I've started carrying around a little notebook in which to gather thoughts, ideas and little snippets of overheard conversation. I'd like to say this is inspiring me and, in a way, it is. I have already filled three pages, plus an extra half-page of misquotes and mispronunciations I'm collecting for a character in the novel I'm currently working on.
The advantage of using a little book like this is that I feel (and I know this is idealistic) more connected to the ideas if I'm writing them down with a pen. I recall these ideas more easily than ones I stick into OneNote.
Now, I'm not saying OneNote (and Evernote, although I personally feel more at home in the Microsoft offering) isn't a useful tool: If I feel inspired while I have my phone in my hand I can start a new note with the idea as the title; later I can come back and stack additions and related inspiration to that note. With a physical notebook, I have to flip pages to connect inspirations and am finding myself transferring those to OneNote anyway.
flashing low battery icon
NOOOOOOOOooooo......
But the notebook also gives me a little reassurance. The notebook's batteries won't run out. It's memory won't get corrupted. The physical act of writing an idea out ensures that I actually do it, rather than having the nebulous idea of "I must put that in OneNote", and then not doing it.
This gives me a moment to reflect on whether writing long hand would connect me to what I'm writing also. If I were to write out my work longhand, would a connection to that work make it easier or harder to build the story? Would I be less inclined to change a story I had invested so much in? Would I be more inclined to think about what I'm writing and write a better story to begin with?
I think, for my next competition entry, I may write a long hand short story and see how it works out in the first draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment